January 20, 2011

Back to the Classics Challenge 2011

I'm going to do this reading challenge: Sarah Reads Too Much: Back to the Classics Challenge 2011. I don't have problems finding enough reading material or reading classics but I think it gives a nice shape to the first half of my reading year.

Here are the goals to complete and what I'm thinking of for each of them:

1. A Banned Book (The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood)
2. A Book With a Wartime Setting (All Quiet on the Western Front by Eric Maria Remarque)
3. A Pulitzer Prize (Fiction) Winner or Runner Up (There are so many to choose from so I think I'll hold off for a while)
4. A Children's/Young Adult Classic (The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton)
5. 19th Century Classic (A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.. because I have it already)
6. 20th Century Classic (Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow.. also because I have it already)
7. A Book you think should be considered a 21st century classic (This is one is more difficult because how am I supposed to know I consider it a 21st century classic until I read it? Any suggestions?)
8. Re-Read a Book from High School/College Classes (I'm thinking Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison or Catcher in the Rye by Salinger)

Any recommendations for the Pulitzer Prize winner or the 21st century classic?

1 comment:

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

Thanks for joining in the Challenge! I do an "update" post on the 15th of each month, so keep on the lookout for that.

As for the 21st Century Classic? I looked at books that had won awards so far this century, and chose one of those. You may also want to consider looking at the latest edition of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" - there are some good ones there as well for this century..... my recommendation from that list is "Cost" by Roxana Robinson, pub 2008 I think.