March 15, 2006

I may have thought I was leaving for Buenos Aires on Sunday night, but it didn't really work out that way... it turned out to be an ordeal just getting to Chicago! I was supposed to be on a 6:50 pm flight out of Minneapolis to Chicago to catch a 9:27 flight to Buenos Aires. Well, Sunday night was when the crazy snowstorm started, so take-off was delayed by about three hours. They kept having to de-ice the plane and the runways weren't clear, etc. etc. During this period, my dad called to tell me first that the plane going to Buenos Aires was delayed coming from L.A., then was diverted to Des Moines because of bad weather in Chicago. Then, after I got back on the plane to Chicago for the last time, he called to tell me that the Buenos Aires flight had left, so have fun staying in Chicago. Greeaaat. But the flight to Chicago finally left around 10, flew almost all the way there, and then, because of the bad weather in Chicago, we were diverted to Indianapolis. Where we sat on the ramp for another two hours, before getting to a gate to refuel, where we sat for another hour, before taking off for Chicago. Again.

I FINALLY arrived in Chicago around 4 am and called the airline's customer service to see about getting on the day's flight to Buenos Aires. Turns out, my dad was wrong and the flight I was supposed to be on never even left Chicago! So, I was rebooked for Monday's flight and I got to hang out around the Chicago airport alllllll day loooong, til 10:45 pm, when my plane left. And then I got to sit on a plane for another 11 hours! Yay!

Despite all the delays, it was totally worth it to walk out of the airport yesterday and see my dad standing there, waiting for me with a big smile on his face. I don't see the man nearly enough. We didn't really do much yesterday (I was really tired and dirty and hungry.) I took a shower which was pretty much the most wonderful thing ever, and then we went for a walk, had dinner, watched some tv with some of my dad's friends who absolutely had to come over and meet me, and then I fell asleep sitting upright with a bowl in my hand around 9:30... which is 6:30 in Minnesota. What a hellraiser.

No comments: