September 06, 2005

Be nice to me.

Today I went and gave blood to the Red Cross. Last time I donated was when I was 17 and the Bloodmobile came to visit my high school. Those were exciting times for me. 17 is the legal age when you can start donating in MN, and I was pretty excited that I was of LEGAL AGE to do anything, even if it was getting poked by needles and then filling a plastic bag with a pint of my own blood. Woo-hoo, what a wild child!

Today I was no less excited about giving blood than I was at 17. The Red Cross was sucking people dry at a church in Maple Grove, and my appointment was for 5:30. I was pretty eager and I got there around 5:15. Then sat there, with like 15 other people, all waiting to give blood. Waiting. Got pretty well acquainted with some real nice old ladies. Waited some more. Went to the bathroom. Had a snack. Waited. For two hours. Blood did not actually leave my body until 7:30. And then, after all that waiting, all it took was 6 minutes for them to get their pint from me. Vampires.

Sorry, that's not much of a post, but that was my day. Oh, I went to the State Fair on Sunday with my parents! I forgot about that. We saw my step-aunt's art, saw a really cool jazz band, stuffed ourselves (mm, roasted corn, pronto pup, cheese curds, brownie, milk, beer, and coffee... on a stick, natch), and saw Gary Puckett play! Awesome, Gary Puckett! Who is Gary Puckett, you might wonder as you scratch your head in bewilderment, much as I did when my parents practically yippee'd with delight when they found out he was playing the Fair Bandshell. I guess he's some old fogey rocker who had some hits back in the day, including:
-"Young Girl" ("Young girl, get outta my mind! My love for you is way outta line, better run girl! You're much too young, girl!" This song = Dirty Old Man anthem. It's just so wrong, and yet, so much fun to sing.)
-"Woman, Woman" ("Woman, whoooooa, wooooman, have you got cheating on your mind?" but, you know, I always thought it was "Have you got Jeannie on your mind?" and that never made sense because either he was singing to a lesbian, which, why bother man? or else it was "Have you got GENIE on your mind?" and, assuming it's the Genie from Aladdin on her mind, the Genie will win every time!)
-These, and many, many other CLASSICS!

Anyway, that was my Fair experience in a nutshell. Oh, and I got to push my mom around a lot. In a wheelchair, sillies - she has a very bad hip and is having hip replacement surgery in November.

Hope everyone had a nice first day of school.

No comments: