September 23, 2005

Camp Shack!

Another road trip is in my future for the weekend, though not another 12-hour drive to Arkansas, thank god. I'm headed up to Tower, Minnesota tomorrow morning. I'm going to a lovely little spot, hidden among the mighty pines and the stately poplars, who are now exchanging their summer foliage for something more festive for fall. I'm looking for the place with the firepit where too many hot dogs to count have sizzled over hot flames, and some have even perished tragically among the ashes. I'm looking for the porch where the shadows of campers past lose their footing and sometimes the contents of their stomachs, and the outhouse where some have feared to enter. I'm yearning for that good ol' shack, where there's an ancient army radio calling me to dance, a beer with my name on it, and my friends are all waiting. It's time for Camp Shack, and I cannot wait!

No comments: