August 27, 2004

Now that I've seen "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" on three continents, I would say my life is complete. Actually, in Spanish it's "¿Quien Quiere Ser Millionario?" and I don't remember what it is in Italian, but I think my favorite is the Venezuelan version, just because of the host. He's so much more relaxed than both the Italian host and especially that gleeful leprechaun, Regis Philbin.

This past week I've just been attending Intensive Spanish class, which was meant to be a review of Spanish before regular classes begin. It has really not been as helpful as one might think. The only thing I found useful were the Venezuelan expressions of which my favorite was "agua fiesta"... it basically means party pooper. I love it. I've used it probably eight times since we learned it, which was yesterday. Some of those times I just manufactured a reason to use it.

Today, instead of having one more day of INTENSE Spanish, our teachers took all of us to a pool nearby. (When I say all of us I'm referring to we 20 or so North Americans... and Anna, who, though actually Swedish, is now American by association.) We just lazed around in the sun and talked. I really like the other American students here; everyone gets along well and has fun together. I'm sure that a few weeks from now we'll be splitting off, getting a bit more clique-y, which will make traveling around easier... but right now it's fun hanging with everyone. Anyway, I think it's pretty awesome that we just up and went to a pool today instead of having class. You know what else is awesome? There are hammocks in the commons area here at school! Hammocks! Swinging beds with huge pillows! Ahh, what a life.

I think this weekend I will just be hiking around in some of the mountains that surround the city, possibly with Anna and Ryan (Anna, the Swedish girl and Ryan both live a couple blocks away from me). But now I must go pick up my class schedule because real classes start next week! Ahh! So much for pool and hammock fun.

No comments: