March 25, 2004

crying jags and seagulls

For whatever reason, I, like Amanda, have been suffering from random attacks of tears. The crying in itself isn't that unusual, as I am a bit of a cryer. This movie as well as this movie brought me damn near close to sobbing, and even this movie will bring a tear or two to my eyes. Particularly sappy Kodak commercials will make me misty. Some books will induce tears, too.

But recently I've been crying, sometimes without any provocation. I started crying for no reason at all when I was hanging out in my room in Vegas. I was on freaking vacation and so happy that I wasn't at school!, and yet the tears started to flow. Then I was crying while watching Queer Eye. Well what the hell. Few things make me laugh as much as Queer Eye, and yet there I was, misting up. And then I have no idea why I'm crying, of course, so then I cry about crying and get a little bit more energetic with it and it turns into a full-blown crying fiesta. I was glad to know, however, that Amanda has also been crying unexpectedly, so it didn't make me feel quite as bad... I'm not alone in the crying.

Today is a little bit chilly but there are clear signs all around that spring is finally reconsidering making an appearance here in Duluth. The snow banks are receding, much like the hair on my brother's head. And AND! It's raining today - it's refreshing and I take it as a sign of good fortune.

Unfortunately, the increasingly improving weather has brought on the most horrendous, dreadful part of living in Duluth. Seagulls. Seagulls. Seagulls. Seagulls everywhere!! The seagulls like to hang around outside the dorms and the on-campus apartments, where there are plenty of dumpsters for them to raid. They fight over the remnants of ramen and mac and cheese and rotting vegetables and whatever the hell else ends up out there... and they scream! Outside the buildings! So, ya know, when I'm not being woken up bright and early by snow plows backing up, I'm woken up by screeching birds fighting over garbage. I think this Scandinavian band and I would be best friends.

No comments: