November 20, 2003

wake up and smell the alcohol

who wakes up and thinks that maybe it would be a good idea to throw back a couple before starting the day? on a thursday morning. before a 9 am class. and not just any class... I'm talking Spanish 4013. where you have to, um, like, think and stuff.

a girl in my spanish class came to class drunk. well, possibly not completely drunk, but definitely slightly tipsy. I was sitting next to her, as I always do, and I was thinking, "wow, her breath smells really bad... she's sitting a foot away from me and I can smell it. WAIT! I recognize that smell!" alcohol was emanating from her very being. it was truly amazing. at one point, she left to go to the bathroom and was gone for 7 minutes. she came back, tripped over her backpack and knocked over someone else's bottle of water. then she pulled out a whole pack of saltines and started chowing down, completely oblivious to the water that was turning her desk into her own private island.

ok, granted, it's hispanic american poetry and drama and the thought of discussing poetry in spanish at 9 am might be enough to drive the most committed teetotaler to have one tiny cocktail before delving into the depths of chilean existensialism. but it's really not that bad. besides, today we were discussing a funny play that poked fun at bureaucracy and had a cast of crazy characters!

what I'm driving at here is just because you can drink before you head off to class doesn't mean you should. especially for the sake of those around you who have to put up with your drunk ass and are actually interested in the class. or just want to suffer through it in peace so they can go home and go back to sleep.

I'm a day and a half from the weekend and yet I almost don't want it to come, because I will be chained to my desk for most it. with the exception of tomorrow night, when I will be attending Jim Fetzer's talk on JFK's death. 3 1/2 hours of lecture on a friday night, woo hoo! strangely enough, I'm really looking forward to it and there's a chance it might be the highlight of my weekend. what a sad little life I lead.

I'm going to take a nap now and it's going to be lovely. and I'm going to dream about turkey and how wonderful it will be to indulge my carnivorous tendencies a week from this very day. much love.

No comments: