January 26, 2004

snow day

For the first time in three years, UMD has called a snow day. Now, those of you who attend UMD may be saying, "Wait a minute... they cancelled school one day last year," but we all know that was crap. Closing school at 4 p.m. on a Friday afternoon? That soooo does not count. And, since the closing three years ago was due to the power going out, UMD didn't really have much of a choice. "Hmm, should we make these kids suffer through class in unheated classrooms on a day that's barely above 0?"

So Father Winter dumped a whole bunch of snow on Duluth today. According to the Star Tribune , we received 19 inches of snow over the past day or so! Holy frozen tundra Batman!

Anyway, I'm really really excited about the snow day. My whole life, I felt cheated because I attended a school district with a superintendent who would not close school despite the most horrible dangerous weather. I would wrap myself in layers of winter wear and make the trek to school while other kids in the metro area got to stay home and watch tv and go sledding and drink hot chocolate and NOT have to go to school. Every now and then, school would be cancelled, and though this was a cause for celebration, it wasn't nearly often enough as the other school districts. So, yay for snow days!

The best part of this snow day so far was getting back into my warm bed after Rachel told me that school was closed. Cassi and I are going to go out in a little bit and run around like fools in the snow. Hopefully we won't get buried. Think warm thoughts!

No comments: