February 16, 2004

Puppy love, quite literally

Today, I would like to talk about a sick addiction of mine. An addiction that I owe, in part, to Amanda. I am hooked on the Animal Humane Society of Minnesota's breed list website. I look at their site to see if there are new animals every so often (ok, probably like every other day... usually more if prompted by Amanda). Our apartment is frequently filled with extremely girlish "Awww..."s, punctuated by occasional squeals of delight and "I want a kitten!" or "I want that dog!" or "I want a small furry!"

Well, I am in love. With a dog. Anyone who wants to shell out $220 and buy me Piglet, the cutest bundle of puppiness in the world, would forever remain in my good graces with the added benefit of being my favorite person for a good long while. (Piglet is that charming creature on the far right.) Hurry, do it quickly or I will cry when he is snapped up by some other incredibly lucky schlub in a matter of, oh, a day. Because he is just that cute. This is love, folks.

But who am I kidding? I know I could not have a puppy right now. First of all, I live on campus for Pete's sake (this being the main obstacle to having puppy/dog cuteness in my life - with all other obstacles coming in at very, very distant seconds and thirds). So, please don't pull out the checkbooks or visas quite yet.

Someday, in the distant future, but SOMEDAY nonetheless, I will get a puppy. And I will raise the puppy into a cool, hopefully relatively well-behaved dog ...a dog that will hopefully be as protective of my kids (if I ever have those) as Keela the German Shepherd... and maybe not necessarily as smart as Blacky, the mutt-y dog my dad had in New Mexico ...but will also not shy away from sticks like lovely Bella the Great Dane, because I will not abuse my dog ...a dog that will be as sweet (but not as neurotically crazy) as Dobey the Doberman ...and who may make me laugh as much as that clown, Buddy the Great Dane. They were (and are) good and loyal dogs. To all the dogs I've loved before.

No comments: