February 11, 2004

V-Day weekend

i thought i could live forever here on my own
it seemed things were so much better out here alone
a lonely dreamer, a nonbeliever, now
i'm living in the moment with the friends i love

-Mason Jennings, "Living in the Moment" from Century Spring

I'm going home this weekend, for the first time since starting spring semester. I'm pretty happy about it. It'll be nice to get out of Duluth for a bit, get a bit of tender love and care from my parents, if ya know what I mean. Yeah, that's right, I'm getting an all-expense paid trip to Sam's Club. Mmm, economy-sized mayonnaise, here I come.

On Friday I will be attending the Mason Jennings cd release party/concert at the Historic State Theater. I will be there with Brian (who introduced me to Mason, thanks Brian!), Dave, Chelsea (who has not seen a concert for a decade and is considerably panicky about this), and the lovely Danielle. I'm really excited about seeing Mason in concert again. Though I haven't seen a whole lot of concerts in my life, the first concert of Mason's I saw was far and away the best. I'm expecting no less from Mason and his band the second time around. Plus, it's a cd release party! How swank is that! I feel like one of the elite.

Sounds like a perfect weekend, no? Free food in bulk and a concert to boot... but, alas, there is one somewhat bittersweet component to this weekend. And no, I'm not talking about Valentine's Day and the fact that I'm single, which may be where some of you thought this was going. Truth be told, I could give John Kerry's sleep deprived rat's ass about that. I really am quite happy right now, living in my moment...

No... I'm talking about Chelsea and Kelly's impending departure for Australia. They're finally leaving and they'll be gone til July sometime. It still seems like something far away. Not Australia, obviously Australia is far away, but it doesn't seem like they could already be leaving, though this is something they've been planning for months.

On Sunday, I'll be seeing them off from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, where they'll get on a plane and fly to LA, then over the great wide ocean to Malaysia (craziness!) and then to Australia. All that, and little Kelly has never even been on a plane before. I will miss both of them so much, especially Chelsea, who we all know is pretty much my sister, but... I'm so happy for them and so proud of them; I feel like they're my kids or something. Wish them luck and keep them in your prayers (or thoughts or whatever, ya know)!

After I see those two off, I get to go back to the airport to pick up little Cassi from her hot weekend date trip to Connecticut/New York City! Ow ow, baby!

This girl has got to get to some spanish reading ere the night is through. Y'all enjoy this Valentine's weekend, whether it be with that special someone or with your best friends or... with that container of Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter. xoxo

No comments: