April 23, 2004

my ridiculous impatience

Dear UMTC Learning Abroad Center,

Usually I'm a patient person. I have the composure to withstand a lot of crap that flies at me. I'm especially good at being patient with people. But I don't think I can restrain myself much longer.

My fabled patience is wearing thin, much like the blankie I used to drag around behind me when I was but a wee lass. Okay, I don't know where the "wee lass" came from but I do know why I am so impatient.

I licked the envelope and dropped my application for Argentina into the depths of the mailbox in Kirby Student Center what seems like an eternity ago. So that doesn't necessarily mean you got it on that day, yadda yadda, but you got it shortly thereafter. I mean, it doesn't take weeks for mail to get from Duluth to the Twin Cities.

I have received no word yet about whether I have been accepted, nor no sign that you have even received said application. I have been monitoring my checking account online rather obsessively (me? obsess? never!) to see if you have deposited the check for the application fee thingy, which, by the way, I see as just another excuse by the Regents to get even more money out of destitute college students. Yeah, you haven't even done that yet, which doesn't make sense since I thought you were probably just going to pocket that money and throw my application away.

In some of the information you sent me previously, you stated that my application would be reviewed by a committee and then I "will be notified in a timely manner of its decision." Ha! Ha ha ha. Timely? I don't think so. According to my calendar, I sent the application on... Oh. Oh wait. Ummm. Well, never mind that. I, uh, yeah. How you doin'?

I understand that in the um, like, week and a half since I mailed my application, you've probably been pretty busy doing other Learning Abroad-y stuff. So, ya know, whenever you get to it, I hope you have fun reviewing my application. Just let me know whenever you get a chance! Go Gophers!

Sincerely,
Alexis M. Stapp

No comments: