October 07, 2004

did someone say "American Cooking Night!!!"?

Last night it rained and rained and rained, OF COURSE, but that is not the point of this story. Last night was "Cultural Activity Night" here at school. Every week they have some sort of planned activity to bring the Americans and Venezuelans together with some silly, I mean, meaningful, cultural thing. One night it was "Sangria and Cheese Night" (sangria, I would like to point out, is not even Venezuelan, however tasty it might be). Another night was "Salsa Dancing Night," which was kind of fun and/or embarassing, depending on your point of view. We Americans have a sad lack of rhythm, let me just say, and some were really shamed by their awkward steps. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed the salsa-ing and embraced my lack of grace wholeheartedly! Look at me, my feet said, we can't dance but we're still having a hell of a time!

Anyway, last night was "American Cooking Night!!!" The sign-up sheet for the activity really had three exaclamation points - "American Cooking Night!!!" Ooo, "American Cooking Night!!!" Wow!!! So, so exciting!!! I can hardly stand the excitement!!! I got all worked into a frenzy over American cooking!!! I wonder what we will eat for "American Cooking Night!!!"??? Maybe it will be chocolate chip cookies, since this country produces a sad lack of chocolate chip cookies!!!

And do you know what we ate, for "American Cooking Night!!!," by any chance? Do you know? Not chocolate chip cookies, oh no, my friends. We had a nice, big, steaming bowl of... wait for it... I know you're excited... buffalo wings!!! Woo-hoo! That's some downhome American cookin', that is. Mm, I love me some buffalo wings.

Okay, I know there are buffalo wings fans out there (talking to Amanda, here) and there really is nothing wrong with them. I have nothing against the personally or anything, in fact, I enjoy the occasional buffalo wing. But the thought that buffalo wings somehow represent American cooking here sort of makes me cringe, I guess. That's like saying that Buffalo Wild Wings is there very pinnacle of American cuisine, and that just can't be true! Can it? Oh well, I guess if buffalo wings is American cooking!!! for Venezuelans, that's okay with me.

No comments: