October 25, 2004

I might be a dirty girl for the next 7 days

Holy AMAZING weekend. Not going to go into all of it right now, because I know I would get carried away, so maybe tomorrow or sometime later this week. But believe you me, it was AMAZING - there was hammock sleeping and boat riding and monkey viewing and dolphin chasing and crab eating and snake touching and crocodile holding. That's right, you heard me. There was not only touching but HOLDING of a crocodile. I HELD A CROCODILE. And I might have become slightly infatuated with Cesar, the Spaniard who was our guide for the AMAZING weekend, not only because he's an anthropologist and a herpitologist, but also because he did a hilarious impression of Gollum. But yeah, more about my AMAZING trip later.

On Saturday, after the AMAZING trip, I went to a birthday party for Jailynn (one of the English teachers at my school) and Brian (one of the American students I have classes with). Jailynn lives in this beautiful house with a couple other English teachers and a Venezuelan, and the smelly dog Aldo, who tried to hump me at a previous party. There was cake and music and bilingual conversations and a PIÑATA! A Hello Kitty piñata, no less. After the birthday kids took their swings at the piñata, someone made the foolish decision to blindfold me and spin me around with the large stick in my hands... and then I nearly took out their television! Everyone was yelling and I thought that I must be really close to hitting Hello Kitty, but apparently they were just yelling for me to stop. Anyway, the birthday party was pretty fun.

And my house has no water. For eight days. The water was out in the whole city for 24 hours from Thursday-Friday, and now it's back on. Except in my neighborhood, which is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, so it doesn't make much sense. I got back from my AMAZING trip on Saturday and at that point hadn't taken a shower since Wednesday, and I was sticky from bug spray and sunblock and sweat, and there was STILL no water at my house. The firemen had come, even, and filled up with water every single pot, pan and large bowl my family owns, just so we could have some for cooking and drinking. I had to go to Anna's to take a shower before the birthday party. I felt really bad for Stephanie because she got home yesterday after being in Los Llanos (the plains area of Venezuela) for four days, where she rode horses and held an anaconda and touched all kinds of animals and got really dirty, and she couldn't take a shower. The water comes and goes (which almost makes it more frustrating), but it was on for a little while this morning so we both got to shower really quickly before it went off again. But agh! We have to suffer, waterless, for 7 more days!!

Anyway, that's all for now. I will write about my AMAZING AMAZING trip later.

No comments: