October 13, 2004

Hey! Yesterday was my blog's one-year anniversary. Happy blog birthday, then, I guess! Also, I've written nearly 100 posts. Here's to another year of blogging.

Yesterday was also Dia de La Raza here in Venezuela, a.k.a. Columbus Day. They don't call it Columbus Day here, however. Dia de La Raza literally means Day of the Race - referring to October 12th, the day Columbus first reached some part of the Americas (a tiny island in the Caribbean) as the beginning of the creation of the Latin American people from the European conquerors, the indigenous tribes of Central and South America, and the slaves that were later brought. Sometimes it's also called Dia del Encuentro de Dos Mundos (Meeting of Two Worlds), but some people dislike this name because it implies that the conquerors and the indigenous people were on equal footing. Sorry for the history lesson.

Anyway, I didn't have school yesterday so I celebrated Dia de la Raza by walking around downtown for 7 hours or so, getting sunburned and eating ice cream and running into half the people I know here. It was really nice! And then I realized I have less than two months left here. That's just plain nutty.

No comments: